Wednesday, January 9, 2013


A LOVE NOTE TO THE “HYPER-SENSITIVE” 
                 AND “TAKERS-OF-IT-TOO-PERSONALLY”

They say:  You’re too sensitive.  You take it too personally.  You’re thin-skinned.  You need to toughen up.

I hear: I have no idea how in touch with the world you are, nor can I grasp the depths of your empathy, from which I benefit. It’s like you can see colors that are naked to my eye.  
You carry the awareness of others, of those far away, those unseen, in your heart on behalf of us all.  You are the torchbearer of the forgotten.  
You bear the weight of other’s pain so they have a lifeline into the rest of humanity.  
You are a barometer for how we are doing as a species.  I can’t imagine the space you hold for others to show up and feel cared for and acknowledged even when no one else can see that it’s you doing this.  You take on my share of pain when my words sting you.  
You bear witness so that we know, so we cannot forget.  Your mere presence is equanimity.  Your energy is generously used in service of your ability to intuit and sense even the most subtle change in weather, perspective, mind or heart. 
I’m not aware that your sensitivity can cause you physical pain.  
You are a canary in the coal mine of our culture, and are wrecked by violent movies, news of pain, and mistreatment of fellow humans, animals, and the earth.  
If I knew the depths of your consideration I’d be humbled and inspired. 
I didn’t see or have the consideration that you are a gift and could be treasured.  
Your light is omnipresent.  
I don’t know to pay attention. 
 I don’t understand, even though I am the beneficiary of your grace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Cauta